Does your skin make you look older than you actually are? Or, perhaps, you have blemishes or areas of uneven pigmentation? Are you looking for a non-invasive way to easily and effectively improve the look of your skin? If this sounds like you, then you may want to give microneedling a try.
Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, is a procedure that involves the use of microneedles to create microscopic channels in your skin. This treatment has been shown to improve the appearance and texture of the skin by stimulating new collagen and elastin production. In this blog post we will discuss 5 reasons why microneedling should be on your list of treatments for beautiful-looking skin!
1. Microneedling is a non-invasive treatment
One of the first reasons why you should consider microneedling is because it is a non-invasive treatment. The entire procedure can be performed in about 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area. However, it is recommended to have at least 4-6 treatments spaced a month apart in order to obtain the best results. During a microneedling procedure, your provider will use a pen or roller with tiny needles. After applying a numbing cream, they will move the microneedling tool over your face, creating small tears in the skin. Once the treatment is over, a collagen-enhancing serum is applied.
2. It can improve the appearance and texture of your skin
Although these tears in the skin are extremely small, they can have a huge impact on your skin. This is because these small tears stimulate the production of both collagen and elastin, which allows the skin to heal itself. As a result, microneedling can help improve the appearance and texture of your skin. At a glance, microneedling has been found to be effective in treating: acne, dark spots (hyperpigmentation), fine lines and wrinkles, hair loss, large pores, reduced skin elasticity, scars, stretch marks, and sun damage.
3. It stimulates new collagen and elastin production
As mentioned above, microneedling helps to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin. At a glance, here is how these two substances affect your skin and why increasing their production improves the appearance of your skin:
- Collagen is a naturally-occurring protein found in your bones, skin, hair, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It is the most abundant protein in the skin, accounting for approximately 75-80% of your skin. Although collagen has a variety of health benefits, it is commonly associated with skincare. When it comes to your skin, collagen helps to provide strength, elasticity, and hydration by acting as the supporting structures that anchor skin cells together. As we age, however, the amount of collagen produced decreases, which eventually leads to the formation of wrinkles and dry skin. Therefore, increasing collagen production helps to moisturize the skin, while strengthening its support system.
- Elastin cells are also found in the connective tissue of the skin’s dermal layer and play a significant role in the appearance of your skin. These cells are able to stretch and then return to their normal shape, which allows us to make certain facial expressions. As we age, however, these cells become damaged and unable to return to their normal shape. In short, this is what causes the formation of fine lines and facial wrinkles. Therefore, increasing elastin production can help to improve skin elasticity and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Almost anyone is a candidate
Another reason why you should try microneedling is because almost anyone can be an ideal candidate. Certain cosmetic skin treatments, such as laser treatments, may not be ideal for people with medium to dark skin tones. However, microneedling can effectively be used on any skin tone. The only exclusions to microneedling are having an active skin infection and/or lesions, or having problems with wound healing. In some cases, this may simply mean that you will need to wait a while before having the treatment performed.
5. There are no side effects or downtime associated with microneedling
A final reason why you should try microneedling in Pickering is because you can resume normal activities immediately after microneedling without any problems! However, you will need to avoid exposing your face to excess germs from things like swimming pools, lakes, rivers, and oceans, as well as irritating soaps and lotions. Generally speaking, microneedling is one of the safest skin treatments that is able to produce dramatic results. With that being said, there are always potential risks involved such as: infection, bruising, scarring, bleeding, and pigment problems.
Overall, microneedling is a safe and effective skin treatment that can dramatically improve the appearance of your skin without any major side effects or downtime. If you’re looking for an affordable, effective, and safe way to improve the appearance of your skin in Pickering, microneedling may be just what you need! We offer microneedling treatments at our medical spa near Toronto, so stop by today and find out more about how we can help you achieve flawless-looking skin without pain or discomfort.