You know that feeling when you are looking in the mirror and your face and neck look like they are melting into one? It’s not a good look. You probably feel self-conscious about it too. Double chins are really common among middle aged people or those who have gained weight over time. They can be embarrassing if they are noticeable to others, but don’t worry! Chin sculpting in Pickering can help get rid of them for good! In this blog, we will discuss what causes double chins and how chin sculpting can change your entire face.
What is a double chin?
Most people can look in the mirror and identify a double chin. A double chin occurs when a layer of fat forms beneath the chin. While many people would attribute this layer of fat to weight gain, this is not always the case. In fact, double chins can form for a variety of reasons such as:
- Genetics: your genes affect almost everything about you and the presence of fat under your lower jaw can be an inherited trait.
- Age: of course, age also can play a role since aging causes the elastin and collagen levels in the skin to decrease. When this happens, the skin can become “saggy” and can contribute to a double chin.
- Posture: believe it or not, the neck and chin muscles can also play a role. When these muscles are not used very often, this can contribute to a double chin.
- Anatomy: people who have a weak jawline or chin, as well as shorter jawlines, are more likely to have the appearance of a double chin.
- Weight: people who are overweight are more likely to have a double chin.
How to Get Rid of a Double Chin
Luckily, there are many different ways to get rid of a double chin. For instance, if the fat beneath your neck has formed because you gained weight then simply losing that extra weight can take away the appearance of having one. Since the muscles of your neck can also play a huge role in creating or appearing to have a double chin, exercising these muscles is another way to get rid of a double chin.
However, a double chin due to age, anatomy, or genetics is harder to correct since losing weight and/or exercising the neck muscles tends to have little effect. Additionally, there are also cases where diet and exercise are still not enough to get rid of a double chin, even if it is caused by weight. In these cases, medical-grade treatments can be used to eliminate a double chin.
Easy Non-Surgical Ways to Correct a Double Chin
Chin sculpting in Pickering is an effective option for removing the layer of fat responsible for creating a double chin. There are two main ways that you can have your chin sculpted: Belkyra® or VenusFreeze™.
Belkyra® is an injectable treatment that contains deoxycholic acid, which dissolves fat cells in the chin. Belkyra® injections are administered in a grid pattern below the chin. In order to be effective, Belkyra® treatment is usually repeated in another 4-6 weeks. After the injections, the body will start processing the dead fat cells, which can cause swelling around the chin area. About 8 weeks after the injections, there will be a noticeable reduction in the amount of fat around the chin. These results are permanent, unless additional weight is gained.
Venus Freeze™ is a noninvasive device used for facial sculpting as well as for fat reduction. This device uses electromagnetic energy to heat the tissue, which stimulates fibroblasts, promotes the formation of new blood vessels, and increases collagen levels. VenusFreeze™ targets stubborn fat pockets and works especially well under the chin and neck.
It is a painless, quick procedure that can take as little as 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area. During the treatment, your provider will place the device on the treatment area. The application will get warmer and feels like a hot stone massage. For best results, people generally receive eight treatments spaced one week apart. After your treatment, there may be some redness and warmth around the treatment area for a couple of hours. Your results will usually last about 3-4 months and then maintenance treatments may be used to maintain your results.
Which is Best?
Both treatments are effective, however one may be more effective for you than the other. At a glance, here is how they compare:
- works well to remove fat or fullness under the chin
- produces visible results after first treatment
- fat reduction is permanent until weight is gained
- requires multiple injections and may cause minor discomfort
- causes temporary swelling post-treatment
- works well to tighten loose skin
- pain-free and no downtime
- eliminates fat close to the skin
- stimulates body’s rejuvenation process
- results tend to develop slowly
- fat reduction is temporary
Ultimately, when deciding which chin sculpting procedure is best for you, talk to your medical provider. They can help determine if either of these procedures works well with your unique needs and goals. In some cases, a combination of treatments may be recommended to achieve optimal results.
If you are tired of your double chin ruining your selfies, get rid of it with Chin Sculpting in Pickering. The process of removing the layer of fat responsible for creating a double chin can be achieved through two main methods: Belkyra® or VenusFreeze™. Although both treatments have benefits depending on individual needs, talk to your medical provider to determine which treatment is best for you.
If you are thinking about getting rid of a double chin, make an appointment at our Pickering, Burlington, or Toronto clinics today!