When you are feeling under the weather, sometimes all that your body needs is a little boost. This may come in the form of some rest, or it could be as simple as getting more sleep. But there are other ways to give your immune system a BOOST! One way is with IV therapy in Toronto. IV therapy can help strengthen your immune system by providing nutrients and minerals directly into the bloodstream – so they don’t have to fight their way through your digestive tract first. In this blog, we’ll talk about the benefits of IV therapy and it can give your immune system a little TLC.
What is IV Therapy?
IV therapy has been around for a long time, although it has just recently become popular as a wellness regime. “IV” stands for intravenous, meaning that it works by being administered directly into the vein (bloodstream). Iv therapy has been used in hospital settings to deliver essential nutrients and medications to patients in a way that allows the substances to rapidly spread throughout the body.
The biggest benefit of IV therapy is that it allows your body to absorb nutrients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants through an intravenous line directly into the bloodstream. This means you’ll get results faster than if you were taking supplements orally because there is no digestion process involved. This also means that your body will be able to absorb and utilize more nutrients than it would from oral supplements.
During an IV therapy treatment, your provider will clean the injection site before placing a needle in the vein. Although you may feel a brief pinch, most patients do not experience significant discomfort. Depending on your personal preferences, the IV can be placed in your arm or elsewhere.
Once the needle has been inserted, your provider will adjust the IV pump to ensure the fluid will be delivered properly. The fluid will then drip through the catheter and down into your vein. Most treatments take about 30-45 minutes to complete. During this time you will need to remain still, which is why our office provides a calming medical spa setting where you can relax.
How does IV Therapy Help the Immune System?
The human immune system is a complex and fascinating part of the body. It can be both one of your greatest allies in times of need, as well as a force to be reckoned with when it overreacts to something that poses no threat at all. The immune system functions by recognizing foreign invaders, such as bacteria or viruses, and mounting an attack against them using various cells and molecules.
Having a healthy immune system will allow you to fight colds, flu, infections, allergies, asthma attacks…the list goes on. In fact, if you are looking for ways to keep your immunity up in these harsh winter months or prevent illness from taking hold in the first place then IV Therapy may be just what you need!
Simply stated, IV therapy helps your immune system by providing the body with essential nutrients needed for proper functioning and immune system support. Although some of these nutrients may be obtained through diet and supplements, digestion limits how much of a certain nutrient your body is able to absorb. IV therapy, on the other hand, ensures that your body can absorb almost all of the nutrients, which provides your immune system with a boost. Here are some of the nutrients that are commonly found in an IV bag:
- Saline: saline is the base ingredient that acts as a delivery system for the other nutrients. It is made up of water and sodium chloride, and helps to provide hydration.
- Dextrose: dextrose is a type of beneficial sugar that can be converted into energy or used to normalize low blood sugar.
- Antioxidants: antioxidants protect the body from free radicals, which can accumulate and cause oxidative stress. Oxidative stress has been associated with damaging your DNA and cells, which can increase the risk of chronic diseases. Antioxidants can include glutathione, or vitamins A, C, and/or E.
- Vitamin B: the B vitamins, also known as the vitamin B complex, are responsible for several important body functions like nerve function, energy levels, and metabolism. There are eight B vitamins that make up the vitamin B complex, including: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12.
- Vitamin C: vitamin C is an essential vitamin that supports the immune system and decreases the risk of illness. It is a powerful antioxidant (see above) and it also helps the body to produce white blood cells to fight infections.
- Calcium: calcium is a mineral used by the body to maintain strong bones and teeth.
- Magnesium: magnesium is another mineral used by the body to reduce inflammation, prevent migraines, and promote healthy metabolic function.
How often is IV therapy needed?
Now that we’ve looked at what IV therapy is and how it benefits the immune system, you may be wondering how often you need this therapy. As with most wellness treatments, the frequency of IV therapy will depend on your individual needs. With that being said, however, most people experience elevated nutrient levels for about 2-3 weeks after IV therapy. This means that most people can have IV therapy about once every 2-3 weeks. There are also cases where more frequent sessions may be recommended, for example in people with illnesses that affect their ability to absorb nutrients. It is also important to note that the vitamins used in IV therapy are water soluble, meaning any excess that is not needed will be excreted into urine.
IV Therapy can be a great way to give your immune system the boost it needs and maintain healthy levels of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. If you are in need of IV therapy for yourself or family members who have been feeling under the weather lately, contact us at Therapeutic Aesthetics in Toronto, Burlington, or Pickering. Our team is ready to help you relax and boost your immune system. We look forward to hearing from you!